Motor liability insurance must be taken for the following:

  • Cars
  • Motorbikes and motocross bikes
  • Mopeds
  • Motorised bicycles (read more: Light electric mobility devices)
  • Snowmobiles
  • ATVs
  • Tractors
  • Power-driven work machinery
  • Semi-trailers and trailers
  • Caravan trailers
  • Lightweight trailers

As a rule, the obligation to take out motor liability insurance also pertains to a vehicle that need not be registered.

If a vehicle is registered for use in traffic, it must be covered by a valid motor liability insurance. If a vehicle has been decommissioned, it cannot be used at all.

If the obligation to insure is not observed for a vehicle, the use of the vehicle is be prohibited, meaning that it be cannot used in traffic. If the vehicle is used, the police is permitted to take off its licence plates. The annual vehicle inspection cannot be carried out on an uninsured vehicle.

Your Europe logo This webpage is part of an EU quality network 
This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal. Did you find what you were looking for? Give feedback!