The transfer permit allows the vehicle to be moved in transit among public traffic. Temporary motor liability insurance is a motor liability insurance taken for the temporary transit of a motor vehicle.
The transfer permit can be granted for the following purposes:
- Taking the vehicle to a vehicle inspection station or repair workshop
- Moving an imported vehicle from the place of import to a place of export or elsewhere in Finland
- Presentation of a vehicle or a product closely associated with it
- A race in the race calendar of a nationwide motor sports organisation registered in Finland
- Situations where the processing of vehicle tax is pending at Customs
- Other particular reason for moving the vehicle (e.g. moving a vehicle taken off traffic use to a winter storage location).
The transfer permit is granted for the required period. Transfer permits are granted by Traficom. The transfer permit can only be obtained if the vehicle tax and temporary motor liability insurance have been taken care of. Continuous motor liability insurance issued by an insurance company can also be used with the transfer permit.
Temporary motor liability insurance is a motor liability insurance taken for the temporary transit of a motor vehicle, granted by vehicle inspection stations and customs offices to the account of the Finnish Motor Insurers' Centre.
- Temporary motor liability insurance is valid within the specified area for the duration of validity of the transfer permit.
- Temporary or permanent off-traffic periods are not applicable to the temporary motor liability insurance, and during its validity no claims history is accumulated.
- Temporary motor liability insurance is issued for the transfer permit of a trailer without having to pay a separate premium.
The Finnish Motor Insurers' Centre bears the liability for any traffic damage caused by a vehicle having temporary motor liability insurance. Further information on granting the transfer permit is available at Traficom's website.