Motor liability insurance will be required for some lightweight electrically powered transporters from 1 June 2024 onwards.
According to the new law:

What are these electric mobility devices?

These include electric balance boards, electric scooters, self-balancing unicycles, electric mobility scooters, and pedelecs.

Which electric vehicles need to be insured?

The obligation to obtain motor insurance will extend to electric and other motor-assisted transports that

  • weigh more than 25 kg, OR
  • have a design speed in excess of 25 km/h.

What should I know when buying an electric mobility device?

For the insurance obligation, the design speed and weight of the device are essential to verify. Motor insurance is required for devices that can go faster than 25 kilometres per hour OR weigh more than 25 kilograms. The design speed of a device is the top speed set by the manufacturer, importer or seller of the device. The obligation to insure the device is not affected by any self-made modifications to restrict the top speed to 25 kilometres per hour.

What instructions would you give to anyone considering to buy a new mobility device?

If the device does not require motor liability insurance, ensure that you have sufficient voluntary insurance cover (accident and third-party liability insurance). In addition, such mobility devices should be used carefully, taking other road users into account. Also remember to familiarise yourself with traffic rules in advance. We also recommend that proper protective equipment, such as a helmet, be used.