In all the Green Card countries outside the EEA (i.e. nearly all the other European states and a number of Mediterranean and Middle East countries), motor liability insurance compensation is almost always paid in accordance with the rules and regulations in force in the country where the incident occurs.

With the exception of Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland, motorists planning to travel to these countries are required to get a Green Card from their motor liability insurance company and to find out whether additional cover is needed, depending on the country of destination.

For example, motor liability insurance covering the vehicle that caused the accident does not pay out compensation for bodily injuries suffered by the driver or even a passenger in all cases. Therefore, it is recommended that additional cover is acquired, for example, with traveller's insurance.

If the vehicle is not covered by a valid Green Card, you must buy the destination country's motor liability insurance, 'frontier insurance', at the border