Does the green card area change as a result of the new law?

No, it does not. However for countries outside the EEA the insurance can limit its area of validity. Always check with your own insurance company your insurance cover before beginning a trip.

What do you need to remember when travelling abroad?

Always check your insurance cover for at least your motor liability and travel insurance. There could be differences in insurance cover depending on the country you are travelling to. For example, not all countries have the same cover for the driver as in Finland (i.e. where the driver causing the accident receives compensation for their personal injuries). So remember to check whether you need supplementary insurance.

In particular, when travelling outside the green card area it is important to make sure you have enough insurance cover.